Symphonie No. 2 (new print)
Lannoy, Eduard von
Heinrich Eduard Josef von Lannoy – Symphony No. 2
(b. Brussels , 3rd December 1787 – d. Vienna, 28th March 1853)
Heinrich Eduard Josef von Lannoy1 belongs to a „long-standing dynasty“ of „statesmen and military commanders“2. His father held several high positions within the Dutch Administration. His first period of residence in Graz was from 1796 until 1801, during which he completed his grammar school and first year of studies. His subsequent studies in Brussels included philosophy, mathematics, jurisprudence and languages, he furthermore learned to compose as well as play several musical instruments. In 1806, the family moved back to Styria. In 1808, the father acquired the „Herrschaft Wildhaus“ (now: Viltuš) near Marburg (now: Maribor, Slovenia), and – already being a knight of the royal Hungarian St. Stephens’ Order – thereby entered into baronage.
Eduard first made an appearance as a writer and, with the support of the archduke Johann, was recommended for Chair of mathematics at the Johanneum in Graz. His first operas were performed following the year 1814. In 1819 he married Magdalena Katharina Josephine von Carneri – with archduke Johann as witness. He was already considered an esteemed musician in Graz, becoming an honorary member of the Styrian Music Society in 1820 and also celebrated successes as a conductor in Vienna, where he had been regularly spending the concert season since 1818. He became very involved with the “Gesellschaft der Musikfreunde” (Friends of Music Society), organizing (1824) and later directing (1829) the Concerts spirituels, which incorporated many pieces by Beethoven, Haydn and Mozart. In 1830 he became the chairman of the conservatory. As a conductor and an ardent admirer of Beethoven, he advocated the promotion of his work. Practically every concert he conducted contained a piece by the Master, including several first performances. His veneration and the implied high aspiration are likely to have led to Lannoy composing less himself after the mid 1830ies.
Read full preface > HERE
160 x 240 mm